FAQ | Frequently Asked Questions

arrow I cannot upload my ID card in my Profile

Some users may experience problems when trying to upload a copy of their ID card to the Profile section. If this happens to you, please try the following:

  1. Instead of completing your Profile, please click on Application to start a new application.
  2. Go to the page Educational Background. Answer the first question about your last/current type of education.
  3. You will be asked to upload document regarding your educational background.
  4. Upload a document (for example, your transcript or diploma)
  5. Go back to the Profile page.
  6. You should now be able to upload your ID card. Afterwards, you can complete your application(s).



arrow I am still studying but the application system asks me to upload my degree certificate
When completing their Educational Background, some users have experienced that the application system asks them to upload a degree certificate, even if they haven't yet graduated. If this happens to you, please upload a random document instead of the degree certificate. This error will be fixed asap.
arrow What is a "Statement of enrolment"?
A Statement of Enrolment is a document issued by a school in which it is confirmed that you are still a student at that particular school (在读证明).
arrow I've made an error in my application. How can I change this?

After you have submitted an application, it cannot be changed anymore. If you wish to change any details (for example, because you have selected the wrong school, made a typing error or uploaded the wrong document) please try the following:

  • Cancel the application you wish to change.
  • Click New application.
  • Change the details you wish to correct.
  • Submit your application.
arrow I cannot find my programme in the dropdown list. What should I do?
The application system contains all programmes that are included in Studyfinder (www.studyfinder.nl). If your programme is not mentioned, please ask your Dutch higher education institution to add the programme in Studyfinder. Please note that we cannot add a programme in the system for you.  
arrow May I apply for several programmes at one time?
Yes, please note that you are allowed to apply for a maximum of 4 programmes.
arrow What is the status of my application?

You may check your application by logging into our NCAS system. The status of your application can be:

  • Creating: You have not finished your application yet.
  • Canceled: You have canceled your application and we will not continue the assessment.
  • Submitted: We have received your application in good order and we will start the assessment as soon as possible.
  • Processing: Your documents are correct and complete and we are assessing your application. This may take up to 4 weeks. In the winter and summer period, the procedure may take up to 8 weeks.
  • Incomplete: One or more documents are not eligible/complete/acceptable. You have received an email about this. Please upload a clear scan of the document(s) as soon as possible to your digital application file.
  • Accepted: The assessment of your English language proficiency and educational background is complete and your Nuffic Certificate has been issued to the Dutch higher education institution.
  • Rejected: Your English language proficiency or educational background does not meet the requirements of the programme. You have received an email about this.


arrow I am currently studying abroad (=outside China). Do I need to provide Chinese translations for my transcripts and statement of enrolment?
No, you only need to provide English translations, together with copies of the original documents.
arrow I have applied for a wrong programme, is it possible to edit/withdraw this?

If you are still working on your application (status=Creating), you may use the delete button in the overview page. If you have already submitted the application, you can use the cancel button. As long as we have not finished the assessment, you can withdraw the application any time by clicking on the cancel button. Please note that we cannot change any details for you.


arrow I am currently following an English-taught programme outside China. Do I need to take an IELTS/TOEFL test?

In this case, you may qualify for an exemption of the English test. Please request a waiver in the language background section. You are required to explain why you are applying for an exemption.


arrow Will I also receive a copy of the Nuffic Certificate after it has been issued?
No, your Nuffic Certificate will only be issued to the Dutch higher education institution.
arrow My ID card number is not valid when I try to register for a new account in NCAS. What should I do?

Does your Chinese ID card number contain the letter 'X' at the end? If yes, please try filling in a lower case 'x' instead of a capital 'X'.

If this is not the case, please send a copy of both your Chinese ID card and passport to certificate@nuffic.nl.

arrow I am going to the Netherlands as an exchange student. Do I need to take an IELTS/TOEFL test?

If you are currently studying outside of China in an English taught programme, you may qualify for an exemption of the English test. Please request a waiver in the language background section. You are required to explain why you are applying for an exemption.

arrow I did not receive an activation email after I created a new account in NCAS. When will I receive this email?
Please check the spam inbox (垃圾邮件) of your email account, as it is very common to have email delivery problems because of automated filters (this mostly happens with email addresses that end with 126.com or 163.com).
arrow I am applying for a PhD programme. Do I need to apply for a Nuffic Certificate?
If you are a PhD candidate, you do not need to apply for a Nuffic certificate as this certificate is only required for a student (not a visiting scholar) visa application. You need another kind of visa to enter the Netherlands.


arrow Can I submit MyBest scores for the TOEFL iBT test in my application?
Yes, please follow these two steps in the tab 'Language Background' in your application. (1) Fill out the test results of your most recent TOEFL test. (2) When you upload your TOEFL Score Report document, add a letter to this document in which you request to use your MyBest scores instead of your most recent scores. This request will then be verified with the Dutch higher education institute you are applying for.